Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building Wireshark 3.4.0 documentation on Windows

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 22:29:43 +0000

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 18:42, Maynard, Chris via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Section 2.2.8 of the Wireshark Developer’s Guide[1] instructs you to install asciidoctor, xsltproc and docbook if you want to build the Wireshark documentation; however, it doesn’t specify the minimum version requirements of those tools.

Attempting to build the documentation for the new 3.4.0 release failed on my system.  Running "choco list --localonly" showed that I had these relevant package versions installed:

asciidoctorj 2.1.0
docbook-bundle 1.0.0
xsltproc 1.1.28.0

… and running "choco outdated" revealed that asciidoctor was outdated:

Chocolatey v0.10.15
Outdated Packages
Output is package name | current version | available version | pinned?

asciidoctorj|2.1.0|2.3.0|false

I updated the asciidoctor package to version 2.3.0 and was able to successfully build the documentation.  (NOTE: I actually ran "choco upgrade all" to upgrade all packages.)  In any case, if building the documentation fails for you, you may want to check your installed versions and upgrade to the latest available packages if any are outdated.

And perhaps the Developer’s Guide should mention minimum required versions, if possible?

I'm not sure about doing this, it's a never ending chase.

I do agree that the CMake generation step could check minimum requirements.

--
Graham Bloice