Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Introduction - An Outreachy 2020 Applicant

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 08:47:47 +0200
I'd suggest moving forward with the sequence a/c/b. IMO this gives a growing difficulty that allows a soft approach with the code base. If I'm not missing anything, (a) involves adding expert infos, that is one of the easiest tasks in wireshark. On the other hand (c) involves pytest, which I found a bit tricky to develop myself.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 5:05 AM Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Amanda,

Amanda Shafack wrote:

> Also, regarding my initial starter contribution, I chose the
> "micro-project" titled "Avoid pipes in git related commands in test
> scripts" (source https://bit.ly/3iZQcT2).

Thanks, sounds good.

> I plan to complete the micro-project and then move on to more research
> on Git's HTTP protocol and other resources you've pointed out.
>
> Let me know your thoughts on this, thanks.

I think that a good next step after the Git micro-project is to get to
know wireshark --- this would involve building wireshark, finding
something to change, and then changing it.

https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/ describes
how to download and build wireshark.  Then for something to change, I
have a few different ideas:

a. tighten the error handling in epan/dissectors/packet-git.c
   (for example, what happens when there are not exactly 4 hexdigits
   at the beginning of a pkt-line?).  Git's
   Documentation/technical/protocol-common.txt describes the pkt-line
   format and Documentation/technical/pack-protocol.txt describes the
   Git transport dissected by packet-git.

b. add tests for the Git dissector.  test/README.test and the page it
   links to describe how wireshark's tests work

c. try to parse out the service name and protocol version in
   epan/dissectors/packet-git.c.  Git's
   Documentation/technical/protocol-v2.txt describes where we can find
   that information

That would get us more comfortable with the wireshark codebase and
would help prepare for fleshing out a plan for the internship.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,
Jonathan