Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Joint project with Git for outreachy

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 17:06:49 +0100

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 16:26, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 8:01 AM Emily Shaffer via Wireshark-dev
<wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 03:36:23PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> > > I think there's been a misunderstanding.  I think the proposal was to
> > > have Emily and Jonathan, who are both significant contributors to Git,
> > > doing the mentoring from the Git side, along with someone from the
> > > Wireshark side.  I don't think we know yet if anyone will be interested
> > > in working on it, but it seems from the response to be a proposal that
> > > has interest in both projects.
> > >
> > > Feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood.
> >
> > That matches my understanding.
>
> Right - brian and Junio are correct, I'm hoping to co-mentor with
> Jonathan. Ronnie, I'm really pleased to see this warm welcome, which
> makes me optimistic about the kind of experience an intern would have on
> this project. It would be really great if we could get a volunteer to
> serve as point-of-contact if the mentee is not sure about something
> they want to send to the Wireshark list, and possibly to come to an
> introductory real-time chat (video/voice/IM) to provide a little
> overview and nudge in the right direction.

I am in the Bay Area so I can serve as the point of contact for some
geographies, while Ronnie is in Australasia so he might make a better
point of contact for those geographies.

There is quite a bit of information in the Wireshark sources in the
doc directory, including several README.* files. There is also a
sample dissector in doc/packet-PROTOABBREV.c

However, it can all be a bit daunting for a beginner so I am willing
to help get things started.

I should also point out that there are many people on the
wireshark-developer mailing list who will be more than happy to help.

There's also the Wireshark Developers Guide (https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/) and for those that are sleep deprived there are a selection of talks on dissectors from previous SharkFest conferences, e.g. Writing a Wireshark dissector: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp_7g5as1VY

and the much more entertaining one with a different approach from Richard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFFkC4PdCbI

--
Graham Bloice