Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Joint project with Git for outreachy

From: "brian m. carlson" <sandals@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 19:55:45 +0000
On 2020-09-19 at 09:12:53, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
> Hi Emily
>
> Emily, you want to contribute to wireshark? That is awesome. I think I
> speak for everyone to send a HUGE welcome
> your way and hope your experience working on and with wireshark be excellent!

I think there's been a misunderstanding.  I think the proposal was to
have Emily and Jonathan, who are both significant contributors to Git,
doing the mentoring from the Git side, along with someone from the
Wireshark side.  I don't think we know yet if anyone will be interested
in working on it, but it seems from the response to be a proposal that
has interest in both projects.

Feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood.

> I think a git dissector would be really awesome.
> We do have a packet-git.c already in wireshark, but looking at it it
> is very barebones (understatement of the year:-)
> but getting a real full blown git protocol implementation would be
> totally awesome.

I agree that a Git dissector would be an awesome addition to Wireshark,
for all the reasons mentioned, and I do hope someone is able to pick it
up.  I'd personally find such a feature very useful, and I know some
colleagues who probably would as well.
--
brian m. carlson: Houston, Texas, US