Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GitLab migration update

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:55:49 +0200
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 11:24:09AM +0200, Uli Heilmeier wrote:

> Am 24.08.20 um 06:33 schrieb Gerald Combs:
>
> > The issue creation script made the repository private in order to
> > avoid rate limiting. If you do this through the web interface,
> > you're presented with a nice, clear warning that you'll sever the
> > relationship of any forked repositories:
> >
> > https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/public_access/public_access.html#reducing-visibility
> > https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/33358
> > https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/22417
> > https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/19111
> >
> > If you do it from the API there's no warning. Unfortunately this
> > means that if you were proactive an forked
> > https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark then you either need to
> > rename or remove your current repository and fork again. Sorry about
> > the hassle.
>
> You don't have to do this. There is also the option to set "forked from" repository with an API call.
>
> With httpie you have to call:
> http POST 'https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/<your-gitlab-username>%2Fwireshark/fork/7898047?access_token=<your-api-token>'
>
> 7898047 is the ID of https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark
>
> You can create the API Token in your gitlab user profile -> 'Access Tokens'. Before the call it could be necessary to
> remove the fork relationship (Project settings -> General -> Advanced -> 'Remove fork relationship').

It looks like you have to delete the old stale fork relationship first,
otherwise you will end up with a 409 Conflict error ("Project already
forked").

To automate fixing the fork status without requiring creation of an
access token, I wrote a small script that can be executed from your web
browser. See https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/issues/16806
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu