Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Code of Conduct for our community

From: Paul Williamson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 10:50:28 -0700
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 2:15 AM Uli Heilmeier <zeugs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 05.08.20 um 19:06 schrieb Richard Sharpe:
>> As discussed in the last Remote Developer Den meeting I see a Code of Conduct (CoC) as helpful for our community.
>
> Why? Nothing is broken at the moment, so nothing needs fixing, AFAICT.

For me this is about improving and not about fixing.

Indeed. When nothing is visibly broken is the easiest time to add a Code of Conduct.

I say "visibly broken" because we can't know how many people have walked away silently after seeing that we have no rules and no consequences for bad behavior. The norm is increasingly to have a Code of Conduct. Not having one is becoming a red flag.

> I would suggest the following alternative approach that the Samba team
> seems to have adopted:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/How_to_do_Samba:_Nicely

The Samba CoC can also be a starting point. I'm missing here a clear encouragement for diversity and openness.

The Samba document is not really a Code of Conduct, because it doesn't address safety/diversity issues and because it doesn't impose consequences. Adopting it would be a half measure. There are many better examples to choose from.

  -Paul