Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-users] The Wireshark wiki has a new home

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:17:23 -0700
On 8/12/20 7:51 AM, Maynard, Chris via Wireshark-users wrote:
> [...]

Well, this stinks. I managed to overlook the fact that wiki editing requires Developer permissions, which means that editing the wiki requires the same rights as accepting merge requests and creating new branches:

https://gitlab.com/help/user/permissions

This is fine for core developers, but not so great for other people that currently have editor permissions. Other people have the same problem, but I don't see any indication that this will be fixed any time soon:

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/25177
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/27294
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/15504

We have a few options in the mean time:

* Switch back to MoinMoin / wiki.wireshark.org and let it continue to bit-rot.

* Switch back to MoinMoin, find some other wiki software, and migrate to it.

* Create a separate, public wiki-only gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark-wiki project, and grant Developer permissions to anyone that wants to contribute.

* Create a separate, possibly-private wiki-only gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark-wiki-backend project, grant Developer permissions to anyone that wants to contribute, and mirror it to the main project wiki.

* Some other variation of the previous two items?