Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capturing 10GbE on a Linux laptop?

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 09:56:22 -0700
On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 8:56 AM Jasper Bongertz <jasper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I know there are some USB-C 10G network adapters (and the ProfiShark 10G, of
> course), but I haven't tested any of them.

I have tested one or two of them. They run warm to hot but seem to work.

In my tests I used NVMe and at that time only had 1TB spare on the
laptop I was using (on a second NVMe card), but it was fast enough for
about 500-600MB/s.

Now you can get 4TB NVMe or even 8TB NVMe (although you would pay $849 for 4TB.)

However, you need Thunderbolt 3 and it seems that very few Linux
laptops have that. System 76 has one or two (the Adder WS, for
example.) The Librem laptops do not.

Lenovo has one on it P51 and two on the P53.

I used a NetGear GS110EMX to generate the traffic (with multiple
devices plugged into it and mirroring all traffic to the 10GBe
port(s).)

> Writing that much data to disk is
> something I do with small portable servers (about the size of a small shoe box)
> with a FPGA based capture card.

NVMe can handle it ...

--
Regards,