Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GitLab update and migration timeline

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 16:12:56 -0700
On Jul 31, 2020, at 3:59 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A question I'd been dithering on way too long was choosing between GitLab's SaaS or hosting our own instance. The main difference on the front end would be between having a gitlab.com URL and logo (SaaS) or a wireshark.org URL and logo (self-hosted). The difference on the back end is much greater, since the self-hosted solution requires operating a GitLab instance and likely a Kubernetes cluster for runners. Much as I'd like to have a Wireshark-branded development site, it's just not worth the operational overhead and expense.
>
> As a result, gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark will be the next home of our repository, issue tracker, and wiki.

So all those gitlab.randomfreesoftwareproject.org sites require the project in question to maintain its own servers, as opposed to, for example, having a CNAME record for gitlab.randomfreesoftwareproject.org that points to gitlab.com, and GitLab's servers looking at the Host: header and realizing that if the host is gitlab.randomfreesoftwareproject.org, it's the GitLab site for the project?  (I'm assuming here that browsers don't see that there's a symbolic link^W^WCNAME involved, and send out the hostname from the CNAME record in the Host: header.)