Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Issues in synphasor dissector

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 23:50:50 +0200
Hi,

So, you want to keep this function call:

proto_tree_add_item(wgs84_tree, hf_conf_pmu_lat, tvb, offset, 4, ENC_BIG_ENDIAN);

with this header field definition:

{ &hf_conf_pmu_lat, { "PMU Latitude", "synphasor.conf.pmu_latitude", FT_FLOAT,
    BASE_NONE | BASE_UNIT_STRING, &units_degree_degrees, 0x0, NULL, HFILL }}

but have it output "Unspecified Location" in case the value is +/- infinity.

Unfortunately the use of BASE_CUSTOM is not available for FT_FLOAT, so I see no other way than this:

if (isinf(pmu_lat)) {
    proto_tree_add_float_format_value(wgs84_tree, hf_conf_pmu_lat_unknown, tvb, offset, 4, INFINITY, unspecified_location);
} else {
    proto_tree_add_item(wgs84_tree, hf_conf_pmu_lat, tvb, offset, 4, ENC_BIG_ENDIAN);
}

and these header field definitions:

{ &hf_conf_pmu_lat_unknown, { "PMU Latitude", "synphasor.conf.pmu_latitude", FT_FLOAT,
    BASE_NONE, NULL, 0x0, NULL, HFILL }}
{ &hf_conf_pmu_lat, { "PMU Latitude", "synphasor.conf.pmu_latitude", FT_FLOAT,
    BASE_NONE | BASE_UNIT_STRING, &units_degree_degrees, 0x0, NULL, HFILL }}

Now at least the field abbrev "synphasor.conf.pmu_latitude" has a constant type FT_FLOAT.

I hope I got this right.
Jaap