Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Final suggestions regarding GSoD Proposal

From: Sunil Kumar Singh <sunilks5963@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 10:13:35 +0530
Dear Team,
I wish to contribute to Wireshark via GSoD. Before finalizing my proposal, I wish to know your views regarding my targets. Please feel free to suggest anything. The following are issues I wish to solve:

1. Improvements in Developer’s Guide:
- Revise new contributions to the guide. Write a friction log and fix all the discovered issues.
- Improve the Quick Setup by concisely rewriting the content.

2. Improvements in User’s Guide:
- Create a quick start for the new Wireshark users to help them launch Wireshark and understand basic packet details.
(I would like to know what kind of quickstart Wireshark team would prefer:)
(i) A step by step guide using QT Help.
(ii) A step by step guide using GIFs instead of Screenshots like this:<https://pbblogassets.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2016/08/Effects-Workspace.gif>
OR Any suggestions you might have.
- Document common use cases and add tutorials by using one of the above methods.
- Use GIFs(as mentioned above) instead of Screenshots wherever possible.
- Completing the missing documentation.

3. Revision of all Documentation:
- Proofread and review Man Pages, Wiki(GitLab and MoinMoin, and the Guides for clarity and accuracy.

4. Improvements in Wiki:
- Remove ambiguity in User’s Guide and Wiki.
- Move Wireshark-specific guidance from Wiki to the guide.
- Reorganize and format information to facilitate the migration of old wiki to GitLab and to make it more accessible.[if time permits]