Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] asn2wrs.py no longer seems to generate the same code ...

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 17:50:17 +0200
Hi Richard,

Le sam. 16 mai 2020 à 17:34, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 6:00 AM João Valverde
<joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> On 15/05/20 23:46, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 3:33 PM Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> The "asn1" target rebuilds all asn1 dissectors.
> >> Alternatively to rebuild a specific one, use a target such as "generate_dissector-pkcs1".
> > Sure, but there seems to be multiple issues.
> >
> > 1. The 'documented' command placed in the generated source does not
> > generate the same source:
> > 2. make asn1 modifies the source directory, but it seems to me that it
> > should not do that because that breaks one of the out-of-tree
> > guarantees that cmake gives you.
>
> Normally that would be true for a generated source file, but in this
> case a choice was made to commit the generated ASN.1 source code to VCS
> (for efficiency reasons I presume). Therefore the asn1 target is a
> special one designed only to update the ASN.1 source tree and commit the
> result.

Shouldn't the developer make that decision?

That was a decision taken by the developers years ago, so I'm not sure I get your point. The idea is to reduce the build time as those dissectors are not updated that often and generating them takes some time.

Best regards,
Pascal.