Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Proposed changes to make tcp.ack and tcp.seq relative

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 22:50:27 +0200
Hi all,

A request was filed earlier to add a new "tcp.ack_rel" field to ensure
that color filters can be created that always work on the relative
sequence numbers independent of the "Relative sequence numbers" option.
Instead of adding a new field, I propose to change the existing ones.

My proposed change:

 - Change the TCP sequence number-related fields to display the relative
   numbers when available. Fallback to raw numbers if they are simply
   not available (for example, when the "Analyze TCP sequence numbers"
   preference is disabled).
 - Modify the "Relative sequence numbers" preference to affect the
   displayed value in the Info column only.
 - The raw fields will always be available through the existing
   tcp.ack_abs and tcp.seq_abs fields. Previously they were only visible
   when "Relative sequence numbers" was disabled. This field was added
   in Wireshark 3.2.
 - Document these changes clearly in the release notes and corresponding
   user guides if needed.

Are there any objections to this change?
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu