Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Issue Report - Latest Version

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 17:09:22 +0200

Le mar. 28 avr. 2020 à 17:03, Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 at 15:45, Leonardo Ayek <leoayek@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi guys, just to let you know that I'm having a problem to use OpenVPN GUI after I installed Wireshark (Latest Version)
  1. The version number of Wireshark and the dependent libraries linked with it, such as Qt or GLib. You can obtain this from Wireshark’s about box or the command wireshark -v. Wireshark Version 3.0.10 (v3.0.10-0-gaa0261e8ddf3)
  2. Information about the platform you run Wireshark on (Windows, Linux, etc. and 32-bit, 64-bit, etc.). Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  3. A detailed description of your problem. New Wireshark Version (Wireshark-win64-3.2.3) is crashing OpenVPN (OpenVPN GUI v11.15.0.0)
  4. If you get an error/warning message, copy the text of that message (and also a few lines before and after it, if there are some) so others may find the place where things go wrong. Please don’t give something like: “I get a warning while doing x” as this won’t give a good idea where to look. After I have installed / upgraded to the Wireshark latest version,  I can’t connect to any VPN connections that I have on OpenVPN. If I remove or downgrade Wireshark to the Wireshark-win64-3.0.10 version, I’m able to connect again.

This is almost certainly an issue with the 3rd party capture library used by Wireshark on Windows called npcap.

You can:
  1. Uninstall npcap and then install the older (and unsupported) WinPcap that Wireshark is still able to use
  2. Work with the npcap support folks to report and hopefully fix the issue:  https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues/
And the issue you report seems quite similar to https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues/1980. They do have a few other related open issues.

Best regards,
Pascal.