Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] GSoC 2020 student application window is open

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 13:40:51 +0100
Hi potential GSoC students,

As a reminder, the student application window for GSoC 2020 has been
open since this week and will close on Tuesday March 31th at 18:00 UTC.
Please make sure that you submit your draft proposals early in order to
receive feedback. You can always submit a new version until the end.

Note that we will *not* be able to view proposals marked as Final before
the application window closes. If you would like feedback on your
proposal, be sure to submit a draft first.

A list of ideas are provided at https://wiki.wireshark.org/GSoC2020, the
main mentors are currently Tomasz Moń and Peter Wu. You can reach out to
us directly or post to the wireshark-dev mailing list.

If you are not sure what to put in your proposal, see
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/writing-a-proposal

We will expect you to submit a patch through the code review system
before the application window closes. This can be done before or after
you submit your draft proposal. Do not worry about making mistakes in
using this code review system, you will not be the first and we will try
to help you during this process.

Some examples of desirable things in a proposal:

 * A reasonable understanding of the proposed topic. Do not simply copy
   and paste the idea as-is, instead do some research if you are not
   familiar with the topic, and then provide a description according to
   your understanding of the topic.

 * What is your motivation to contribute to Wireshark, have you had
   previous experience with using it?

Some of you have already reached out to us in private which is fine, we
are happy to answer some questions, however please do note that we
expect you to do some research and write a proposal. We cannot write a
proposal for you, but we can provide feedback on it.

Good luck with any exams you may have, stay healthy, and we are looking
forward to your contributions!
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu