Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Cmake on windows

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 14:04:14 +0100

Le ven. 6 mars 2020 à 14:02, Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 12:44 PM Pascal Quantin <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le ven. 6 mars 2020 à 12:28, Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
I am sorry, I still don't understand, I beg your pardon.
You said

> your machine does not have the MSVC redistributable copied in the wireshark-libs folder (as explained in the developer guide) while it is required for the NSIS installer.

But I cannot find any point in the developer guide where it is explained that the MSVC redistributable has to be copied somewhere, nor I know how to do it myself without a more detailed explanation.

This is why I said it used to be more visible in the documentation .
We used to have to download vcredist_x86.exe or vcredist_x64.exe from Microsoft website and copy it in the Wireshark-win32-libs or Wireshark-win64-libs folder. It is no more required because the redistributables are bundled in the MSVC 2019 community edition (for example mine is located by CMake in C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2019/Community/VC/Redist/MSVC/14.24.28127).

I now realize that you have 2 errors: one about the VCINSTALLDIR (root cause of your NSIS issue) and one about MERGE_MODULE_DIR (for WiX). Sorry for not seeing this earlier.

As found in our CMakeLists.txt file:

# Try to find the Redist folder in VCINSTALLDIR which is set by vcvarsall.bat.
# If it is not set, query it within the registry. VS2015 looks for the "VC7" key
# in two locations (four if you count HKCU instead of HKLM). However, VS2017
# does not use "VC7" (it sets a directory relative to vsdevcmd_start.bat). As
# both versions do set "VS7", use that instead.
find_path(VCINSTALLDIR Redist PATHS
"$ENV{VCINSTALLDIR}"
"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\SxS\\VS7;${_msvs_version}]\\VC"
"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\WOW6432Node\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\SxS\\VS7;${_msvs_version}]\\VC"
NO_DEFAULT_PATH
)
file(TO_NATIVE_PATH "${VCINSTALLDIR}" VCINSTALLDIR_NATIVE)
message(STATUS "Using VCINSTALLDIR: ${VCINSTALLDIR_NATIVE}")

That's what Gerald indicated in his message.

When I open the MSVC 2019 command prompt, and type 'set VCINSTALLDIR', I get as expected:
VCINSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\

What do you get?

Unfortunately the builder doesn't print anything with that command

see the "set" step.

Si it seems like it is not running the MSVC 2019 command prompt that takes care of setting the various environment variables.