Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Cmake on windows

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 14:00:44 +0100

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 12:44 PM Pascal Quantin <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le ven. 6 mars 2020 à 12:28, Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
I am sorry, I still don't understand, I beg your pardon.
You said

> your machine does not have the MSVC redistributable copied in the wireshark-libs folder (as explained in the developer guide) while it is required for the NSIS installer.

But I cannot find any point in the developer guide where it is explained that the MSVC redistributable has to be copied somewhere, nor I know how to do it myself without a more detailed explanation.

This is why I said it used to be more visible in the documentation .
We used to have to download vcredist_x86.exe or vcredist_x64.exe from Microsoft website and copy it in the Wireshark-win32-libs or Wireshark-win64-libs folder. It is no more required because the redistributables are bundled in the MSVC 2019 community edition (for example mine is located by CMake in C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2019/Community/VC/Redist/MSVC/14.24.28127).

I now realize that you have 2 errors: one about the VCINSTALLDIR (root cause of your NSIS issue) and one about MERGE_MODULE_DIR (for WiX). Sorry for not seeing this earlier.

As found in our CMakeLists.txt file:

# Try to find the Redist folder in VCINSTALLDIR which is set by vcvarsall.bat.
# If it is not set, query it within the registry. VS2015 looks for the "VC7" key
# in two locations (four if you count HKCU instead of HKLM). However, VS2017
# does not use "VC7" (it sets a directory relative to vsdevcmd_start.bat). As
# both versions do set "VS7", use that instead.
find_path(VCINSTALLDIR Redist PATHS
"$ENV{VCINSTALLDIR}"
"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\SxS\\VS7;${_msvs_version}]\\VC"
"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\WOW6432Node\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\SxS\\VS7;${_msvs_version}]\\VC"
NO_DEFAULT_PATH
)
file(TO_NATIVE_PATH "${VCINSTALLDIR}" VCINSTALLDIR_NATIVE)
message(STATUS "Using VCINSTALLDIR: ${VCINSTALLDIR_NATIVE}")

That's what Gerald indicated in his message.

When I open the MSVC 2019 command prompt, and type 'set VCINSTALLDIR', I get as expected:
VCINSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\

What do you get?

Unfortunately the builder doesn't print anything with that command

see the "set" step.