Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Regarding GSoC 2020 - SSH Decryption Support Project

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 18:55:35 +0100
Hi Tanuja,

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 02:31:39PM +0530, Tanuja Kirthi Doddapaneni wrote:
> I am Tanuja Kirthi Doddapaneni, a third-year Computer Science student at
> BITS Pilani - Hyderabad Campus, India. I am interested in working on the
> SSH decryption support project for GSoC 2020. I have a good understanding
> of basic cryptography protocols and the C programming language.
> Please let me know how to proceed.

I already have five people contact me about the SSH decryption project,
it seems to be a quite popular topic. I suppose that people are very
much interested in cryptography-related tasks, so I added another one:
https://wiki.wireshark.org/GSoC2020#WebRTC:_DTLS-SRTP_decryption_and_Opus_playback_support

For anyone considering a project and writing a proposal, try to get a
good understanding of the problem and study its feasibility. To do so,
it might be a good idea to do a little bit of research into the involved
protocols and knowledge, and dig into the Wireshark source code to get
an idea where it would fit in.

A good starting point to get familiar with the project is to build
Wireshark from git master, try to find a bug, and then try to fix it.
During that process, you can potentially learn a lot about the build
environment, the code structure, and working with other developers. Do
not worry if you get stuck, we are here to help.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions!
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu