Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Best linux platform for development; Buildbot slave configs

From: chuck c <bubbasnmp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 23:20:03 -0600
Thanks for the info and encouragement.
Now have a working 3.2.1 build on ubuntu. :-)
Have been working with Centos/Redhat for many years but this seems like a good time to learn a new OS.

Met vriendelijke groeten
chuckc

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 2:08 PM Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Chuck,

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 11:02:06PM -0600, chuck c wrote:
> Is there an advantage to using Ubuntu for a build machine since the
> linux/unix buildbot is Ubuntu?
> https://buildbot.wireshark.org/wireshark-3.2/buildslaves/ubuntu-18.04-x64

Since our main buildbot uses Ubuntu, I suppose that is a small
advantage. Personally I develop on Arch Linux, but you can use any
system you are comfortable with.

For installing dependencies, have a look at tools/debian-setup.sh,
tools/macos-setup-brew.sh, etc. Or see the various CI integration
configs:

 - Gitlab CI, .gitlab-ci.yml, example:
   https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/pipelines
 - Travis CI, .travis.yml, example:
   https://gitlab.com/crondaemon/wireshark/pipelines
 - More builders are listed by Dario at
   https://wiki.wireshark.org/DarioLombardo

> Is there a FAQ on sizing a build system? Are the buildbot specs available?

The more CPU cores, the faster. More cores means more memory as well.
A debug build might require more resources than an unoptimized one.
Enabling ASAN will also increase the binary size and potential memory
consumption during compilation and running tests.

An older configuration based on the buildbot config back then can be
found here: https://github.com/Lekensteyn/wireshark-ansible
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu