Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Feedback on Developer's Guide 3.3.0

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 18:34:48 +0100
Hi David,

Le mer. 19 févr. 2020 à 17:47, Boyce, David <David.Boyce@xxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

Hi,

I notice that the developer’s guide does not appear to have any Wireshark C API Reference Manual equivalent to the Lua API Reference Manual of Chapter 11.  Given that 1.4.1 emphasises that ‘(almost) any dissector is written in plain old ANSI C’, this seems to be a strange omission.  Is there a good reason for this?

You have a lot of documentation in the doc/ folder of the Wireshark source code. I guess the fact that it is located here and not in the developer's guide is a mix of legacy and that, to build a C dissector, you need to have Wireshark source code anyway (which is not the case for Lua).

Best regards,
Pascal.

PNG image

PNG image