Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Unable to detect custom protocol dissector

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 07:31:04 +0000

Hi,

I don’t write Lua code but try

Dissector.get(name)

Using gnw as name

Regards

Anders

From: Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of sandip gangakhedkar
Sent: den 13 februari 2020 23:11
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Unable to detect custom protocol dissector

Hi Chris,

I confirm that I see the same issue with your Lua script. However, I am able to dissect the GeoNetworking header normally in another pcap trace that does not contain my proprietary header that encapsulates my GeoNetworking PDU. So I think the Native Wireshark gnw Dissector is working just fine.

However, when I add the custom Dissector for my proprietary header and then chain the gnw Dissector to it, I am able to see my proprietary headers, but fail to see the GeoNetworking header dissected.

@Anders: I did not notice anything particular in the way the gnw Dissector is registered:

    expert_module_t* expert_geonw;

    module_t *geonw_module;

    proto_geonw = proto_register_protocol("GeoNetworking", "GNW", "gnw");

    geonw_handle = register_dissector("gnw", dissect_geonw, proto_geonw);

    proto_register_field_array(proto_geonw, hf_geonw, array_length(hf_geonw));

    proto_register_subtree_array(ett, array_length(ett));

    expert_geonw = expert_register_protocol(proto_geonw);

    expert_register_field_array(expert_geonw, ei, array_length(ei));

Am I missing something here?

Thanks again for your help.