Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Qt availability changes

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 10:24:43 +0000

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 00:43, Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>

> > As folks noted in the thread you linked to, how will CI systems handle
> > this?

Good question... I have automated Qt installation for Travis CI with
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/blob/master/tools/travis-install-qt-windows.sh
downloads the online installer, and just caches the installed tree.
However if credentials are suddenly necessary, then we would have to add
it somehow. Most likely with some throw-away email, but I am not sure if
that violates some usage terms.

If that does not work, we could archive the tree and cache it on our
server. If that does not violate distributions rights...

Kind regards,
Peter

 As noted somewhere in the linked discussion, I suspect that the end result will be projects caching a "suitable" version for a while and then periodically, e.g. major releases, updating to the current latest.  It's too much work to track latest with the potential for introducing new bugs.  In summary this will have the opposite effect to that which Qt expects.

--
Graham Bloice