Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Qt availability changes

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 00:42:32 +0000
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 09:53:11PM +0100, Roland Knall wrote:
> Well it took me a while to read through all the comments.

Indeed, some highlights:

* A Qt community contributor suggests potential adverse effects for the
  Qt Company such as forking and less contributions.
  https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-January/038337.html
* Another contributor expressing similar concerns, and worrying about
  "important" bug fixes.
  https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-January/038344.html
* A note about transfer of ownership rights to the KDE Free Qt
  Foundation. Most likely does not cover binaries, but source code.
  https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-January/038341.html
* A concern about Qt quality as shipped on Linux with some numbers about
  changes in releases to back it up.
  https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-January/038388.html

> First of all, I understand their - Qt's - reasoning. It makes sense from a
> business side of things, and they are getting rather big. Developing that
> framework is not the easiest task and they need money (sounds too
> familiar). This sucks, but I imagine we can keep the impact for our
> user-base to a minimum.

I think it is worth emphasizing that it only affects users who build or
develop Wireshark from source. The final Wireshark installer will still
bundle the Qt bits.

> From an installation point of view, basically you have two options:
> a. Go with the official installer and register for an account, or
> b. use brew/port on Mac and chocolatey/vcpkg on Windows.
>
> b. does not require registration, as chocolatey/vpckg/brew/ports build
> themselves and they do not force the registration policy. They also tag
> releases, which means that we could tag to a specific release for each
> platform. After reading a lot of messages on the mailing list, it seems
> that the main difference for LTS releases will be that additional to
> security fixes, adaptions of changes (aka compiler changes for instance)
> will no longer be available in older versions. I assume we will have the
> option to build a version of Qt ourselves which we could than add to the
> installation bundle. That option can be used from -dev or always the latest
> tagged release version. For Windows/Mac users it will not make much
> difference, as most Qt-based OSS projects don't focus on using a
> system-wide Qt version anyway and are fine with using a
> package-distributable version. It might present us with headaches in regard
> of supporting Wireshark on older Mac/Windows versions though, and makes our
> job a little harder. It also introduces a wider range of possible bug-hunts.

The main problem I see is it basically forces us to use the latest Qt
version which makes supporting older Linux distributions somewhat
harder. Based on the Qt version history [1], it looks like non-LTS
versions are supported for 1 year. Typical Linux distributions have a
longer lifetime.

 [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_version_history#Qt_5

The Qt project is still committed to providing security updates, so that
should not change the situation for Linux distribution maintainers.
Debian for example typically does not update the Qt version even though
there may be dozens of usability bug fixes.

> On the - user wants to develop a dissector - route, yes I agree, this makes
> our lives harder. Just developing a small dissector quickly will not be as
> easy as it might seem today (it isn't today as easy as it should be also,
> but this is a different issue). On the other hand, a lot of users struggle
> with today's approach as well. For the rest we can map out the
> chocolatey/vpckg/brew/ports route. Or switch to Lua dissectors, where we
> might need to find a way to package and distribute them properly.
>
> Finally, I would not call it a day yet. Qt has become a very strategic
> project for a lot of people. I could imagine, that the outcry over this
> decision will be as big as the one 2015 over the first attempt to close
> down the installer. I could imagine, that they will backpedal the ideas a
> little bit in the near future, although I will not betting on it. Let's
> hope they at least give the LTS route another thinking and come up with a
> different solution. For the reasons mentioned above, I could live without
> the binary releases, having no longer an easily accessible LTS branch does
> hurt though.

The LTS branch is not just 'no longer easily accessible', it will simply
be unavailable for non-commercial users. The Qt company wants OSS
developers like us to use the latest version and report back issues and
such. Which I already did in the past, including patches...

> Overall, I hope the impact will be - if anything - as small as possible and
> affect us as the core's more than our users.
>
> cheers
> Roland
>
> Am Mo., 27. Jan. 2020 um 21:37 Uhr schrieb Graham Bloice <
> graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> > On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 20:06, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> The Qt Company recently announced upcoming changes in the distribution of
> >> their official binaries:
> >>
> >> https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-offering-changes-2020
> >>
> >> https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-January/thread.html#38316
> >>
> >> Two of the changes adversely affect how we develop and build Wireshark,
> >> primarily on Windows and macOS. First, downloading official releases from
> >> qt.io will require logging in with a Qt account. How much of an issue is
> >> this for people developing Wireshark on those platforms? Is it enough to
> >> warrant switching to a different, unofficial source for Qt binaries? I'm
> >> not really thrilled about the prospect of Qt salespeople pestering someone
> >> who just wants to build a Wireshark dissector.
> >>
> >> Second, LTS releases will no longer be open source starting with Qt 5.15.
> >> We currently ship the latest LTS version of Qt with our Windows and macOS
> >> packages. I'm not sure how we're going to handle this in the future.

We currently use 5.12 LTS which is supported until the end of 2021, so
that is still two years. Hopefully a reasonable solution becomes
available before then.

> > Uggh.  Really unhelpful.  I fail to see how requiring Open source
> > projects to follow effectively the HEAD of the CURRENT release is going to
> > make things better.
> >
> > As folks noted in the thread you linked to, how will CI systems handle
> > this?

Good question... I have automated Qt installation for Travis CI with
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/blob/master/tools/travis-install-qt-windows.sh
downloads the online installer, and just caches the installed tree.
However if credentials are suddenly necessary, then we would have to add
it somehow. Most likely with some throw-away email, but I am not sure if
that violates some usage terms.

If that does not work, we could archive the tree and cache it on our
server. If that does not violate distributions rights...

Kind regards,
Peter