Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Updating to the latest version of python with choco causes a fai

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 17:36:17 +0000
I updated all choco packages including python3, but when “choco install python3” was run according to the latest instructions in the developer’s guide[1], it installed Python 3.8.0, which caused a failure:

CMake Error at cmake/modules/LocatePythonModule.cmake:47 (message):
  Could NOT find python module asn2wrs
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  cmake/modules/UseAsn2Wrs.cmake:11 (locate_python_module)
  epan/dissectors/asn1/HI2Operations/CMakeLists.txt:34 (ASN2WRS)

I uninstalled Python 3.8.0 (choco uninstall python3) and installed the latest 3.7 release instead, currently 3.7.5[2] via: choco install python –version=3.7.5

I think it might be a good idea to update the developer’s guide to specify the exact python version to install?  Of course the downside of specifying the version is that when newer versions are released, the user won’t get it, but will get the older version instead, so maybe it’s better if someone could figure out how to fix the build so it works with Python 3.8, if possible?  By the way, the buildbot is using Python 3.7.4, in case anyone cares to update it?

Or something was wrong with my environment which caused it to fail?  Maybe someone would care to update their version of Python to see if they get the same results as I did with Python 3.8.0?
- Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is the property of International Game Technology PLC and/or its subsidiaries and may contain proprietary, confidential or trade secret information. This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.