Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] First experience with Visual Studio 2019

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 17:42:41 -0800
On Dec 7, 2019, at 10:50 AM, Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> CMake.  VS now includes CMake, although it does lag behind a little, but I would be expecting it to work (as in tested by MS and others) with the installed version of VS.  I have been planning to remove the separate installation of CMake from the Developers Guide, I've been running this for quite a while now with both VS 2017 and 2019.

For what it's worth, the current "building on Windows" instructions for libpcap:

	https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/blob/master/doc/README.Win32.md

suggest a cmake.org or Chocolatey download if VS 2015 is being used and suggest installing the CMake that comes with VS for later versions.

We also suggest Microsoft's Git-for-Windows for VS 2017 and later.

(This reminds me that I need to update tcpdump's "building on Windows" instructions as well.)