Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] col_append_frame_number()

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 23:19:57 +0000
Why does col_append_frame_number() take a packet_info * as its first argument, whereas all other col_append_*() functions take a column_info *?  Isn’t this inconsistent?  And why only allow a frame number to be appended – what if you want to append a frame number along with other data?  Currently, I’m forced to append information in 2 separate calls, one using col_append_fstr() for all data except for the frame number, and another using col_append_frame_number() to append the frame number and signal that there’s new column information.

If by the comments above the function, the intent is to signal updated column information, maybe it would make more sense to have a function called col_append_fstr_and_signal_update() (and friends?), or something along those lines?  Or dispense with these calls and introduce a separate col_signal_update() that is explicitly called after column data is updated using any arbitrary col_*() function?  Finally, is there any reason not to signal that column information has been updated for all col_*() calls, which would obviate the need for specific functions that do?

Thanks.
- Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is the property of International Game Technology PLC and/or its subsidiaries and may contain proprietary, confidential or trade secret information. This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.