Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building on Windows ...

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:22:02 +0000

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 17:13, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 8:50 AM Graham Bloice
<graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 16:25, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> This is likely to be associated with your earlier issues with the env. var. "Platform".

Hmmm, the only command prompts I seem to be able to find are:

Developer Command Prompt for VS 2019 (This one does not set a platform.)
x86_64 Cross Tools Command Prompt for VS 2019 (This one installs a
PLATFORM env var set to x64), and
x86 Native Command Tools Prompt for VS 2019 (This one installs a
PLATFORM env var set to x86)

I am using Visual Studio Community Edition 16.3.9 as of this morning.

You only seem to have the 32 bit toolchain installed (which can cross compile to x64).  As far as I'm aware the VS installer doesn't allow selection of only x86, you just get both.  You're not running on 32 bit Windows are you?

The Developers Guide states:

From the Start Menu (or Start Screen), navigate to the “Visual Studio 2019” folder and choose the Command Prompt appropriate for the build you wish to make, e.g. “x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2019” for a 64-bit version or “x86 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2019” for a 32-bit version.

Which isn't too helpful if you want to build an x64 version and don't have the x64 toolchain as you seem to have achieved.  In that case you would have to choose the x86_64 Cross Tools Command Prompt for VS 2019 option.

--
Graham Bloice