Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problems building under Windows 10

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 15:22:17 +0000

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 14:56, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 11:43 PM Graham Bloice
<graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 07:01, Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Do you execute canoe from a Visual Studio Commandprompt? I recently tried it and it works fine.

Ahhh. I couldn't find the canoe.

> This also works for me, without the need for a canoe though.
>
> You can check if the command prompt has been set up correctly by attempting to execute the compiler (cl.exe), for VS 2019 you should see something similar to:
>
> Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.23.28106.4 for x64
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
> usage: cl [ option... ] filename... [ /link linkoption... ]

That seems to be the problem. I am in a Developer Command Prompt for
VS 2019, but:

C:\Development\wsbuild64>cl.exe
'cl.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Now to figure out how to get those things into my path.

I'm 99% sure you DON'T have a Developer Command Prompt for VS 2019 as that does set the path accordingly.  When you open the correct prompt (which for x64 is named in the Start Menu on my machine as "x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2019") you should see the following output:

** Visual Studio 2019 Developer Command Prompt v16.3.9
** Copyright (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation
[vcvarsall.bat] Environment initialized for: 'x64'

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community>

--
Graham Bloice