Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Recursion depth limit for packet reassembly

From: Thomas Wiens <th.wiens@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 13:17:46 +0100
Hi,

I'm working on a protocol dissector where I'm using packet reassembly.
Now I've got a capture with 1026 fragments, which fails to reassemble
with the standard Wireshark (assert fails) due to the limitation to 500
fragments in epan/packet.c:
#define PINFO_LAYER_MAX_RECURSION_DEPTH 500

For testing I just increased the limit up to 2000. With the change the
reassembly takes some time when I select the last fragment where it's
reassembled (about 15 seconds on a rather old 32 bit windows machine,
but there are also hundreds of zlib blocks which are decompressed in the
dissector). Other that it takes some time and memory, I didn't notice
any problems.

Is there any reason why it's limited to exactly 500?
Would it be possible to make this limit configurable in the Wireshark
settings dialog?

--
Best Regards

Thomas Wiens