Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Quickly determine where your duplicate ett_definition is ...

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 12:00:07 -0700
Hi folks,

I just had a nasty issue with duplicate ett_* entries (well, one, actually).

The issue was in dissector A but I was working on dissector B and had
not run Wireshark after building with the changes in A, so it looked
like the issue was in B.

I notice that proto_register_subtree_array does not take any
parameters indicating which dissector it is called from.

Could we make that call a macro that passes the code line and function
name as the last two parameters so the g_error printed out can tell us
where the problem lies?

In the end I used gdb to figure it out, but life would have been
easier if the error message told me.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe