Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Migrate to GitLab?

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 11:18:00 +0200

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 10:47 AM Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> git push origin HEAD:feature-number-1

And can I then do a "git commit --amend" and another "git push origin HEAD:feature-number-1" to fix issues found in the review/Petri dish/going back and looking at what I did process?

You're required to force.

git push origin HEAD:feature-number-1 -f

That's fine as long as you're working on a branch.

And I'm still on the master branch there, so a "git pull" will pick up changes from the master branch (and then I do enough rebases to preserve the "the master or wireshark-x.y.z branch is The Official Source, everything else in the universe, including my repositories, is secondary" model I use)?

The base behavior of git pull is merge with a merge commit. You need to rebase. Options

- git fetch origin ; git rebase origin/master
- git pull --rebase origin master ==> same as before, shorter
- configure rebase as default action for pull in gitconfig ; git pull ==> same as before, shorter

> If you have 3 new commits in your master branch,
>
> HEAD^^ ==> ready to roll
> HEAD^ ==> not ready
> HEAD ==> not ready
>
> you can still push your partial work
>
> git push origin HEAD^^:ready-to-roll

OK, although I don't work that way.  (I have separate *checked-out repositories* for each project I work on.  Yes, I have a *lot* of repositories on my machine.)