Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Migrate to GitLab?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 01:36:23 -0700
On Oct 8, 2019, at 1:17 AM, Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. If you push to GitLab and do it the right way, you create a merge request, which allows you to ammend the change as many times as you want, similar to the method with patchsets in Gerrit.

Good.

> 2. This will not cause merge commits if done properly.

Good.  (Beats what happens with libpcap and tcpdump with GitHub, but maybe we're not doing it properly there.  GitHub pull requests != GitLab merge requests?)

> 3. Here lies the issue. There are two methods to achieve 1&2 - either you create a branch in your local checkout of the wireshark repository and push from there - which will push you towards the merge request link, or you create a clone of the main repository and work in there, and then create merge requests from there. Second approach may let you avoid branches, but it will require more overhead as it will lead you to handle main repo updates yourself.

Tha second of those is the way I've been doing things since, err, umm, I first started using version control systems.  (Well, I forget how it was at Sun using SCCS, as that was too long ago, but everywhere else was that way.) I *like* the idea of having to keep up with the main repository, rather than having a branch subject to code rot.  There's one place that has The Official Source, and whatever I have is a personal hack until it either gets merged into The Official Source or gets abandoned by me.