Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Migrate to GitLab?

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 10:34:51 +0200
I don't like merge commits and polluted history as well, then that's how I configured my projects on gitlab.
Merge commits are disabled, only fast forward merges are allowed. This requires every merge request to be rebased before merging. Moreover I configured successful CI as a requirement for merging. This last item should be carefully decided: it works well for me since I fix CI as soon as it breaks. But on a larger community and code base as Wireshark the CI could fail for something not related to the MR, hence it would block the merge.
The master branch still remains a protected branch, meaning that its history can't be rewritten. This is a must-have for public projects, though.
Users with higher roles (maintainer/owner) can commit to master, others (developers) can't, and are required to create a branch, then a merge request that can be merged by higher users. Reporter and guest users can't create a branch. If we have forks active, the model is the very same as github. We should carefully consider whether have CI runners available for all forks. Considered the high number of branches and forks, we could break the runners. Unfortunately the gitlab-runner is a piece of code that stucks often in my lab.