Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Migrate to GitLab?

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 10:17:20 +0200
TL;DR - yes - no - somewhat

Long version:
1. If you push to GitLab and do it the right way, you create a merge request, which allows you to ammend the change as many times as you want, similar to the method with patchsets in Gerrit.

2. This will not cause merge commits if done properly.

3. Here lies the issue. There are two methods to achieve 1&2 - either you create a branch in your local checkout of the wireshark repository and push from there - which will push you towards the merge request link, or you create a clone of the main repository and work in there, and then create merge requests from there. Second approach may let you avoid branches, but it will require more overhead as it will lead you to handle main repo updates yourself.

That being said, I am still a fan of the move to Gitlab, but the workflow has to be worked out properly before really enabling it.

cheers
Roland

Am Di., 8. Okt. 2019 um 00:34 Uhr schrieb Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Oct 7, 2019, at 3:22 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For new contributors, getting up and running with GitLab should be easier. GitLab doesn't require pushing to a special remote reference and doesn't require a special Change ID in the commit message. It should also be more familiar. For better or worse, the world seems to be standardizing on Git{Hub,Lab} and their respective workflows and tooling.
>
> For existing contributors and core developers, the review process would change a fair amount. The current [-2 .. +2] approval system would either change or go away depending on the flavor of GitLab we use[2][3]. It also looks like you can't edit a commit message in the web UI before merging[4].

1) Can you push (or whatever) a proposed commit to GitLab and then do a git commit --amend, changing either code or commit message, and then push and have that amend the commit-on-GitLab, without polluting the history?

2) Will this cause merge commits, such as the crap that GitHub dumps in there by default:

        https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/commit/b43fdf882a3bd71391535362b3bf560ec54e77ef

to pollute the history?

3) Will I be forced to use branches in my local repository or can I do all my work in the default branch?