Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Represent byte array longer than MAX_BYTE_STR_LEN as hexstri

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 19:13:56 -0700
On Aug 3, 2019, at 4:39 PM, Jason Cohen <kryojenik2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've got a lengths of bytes that I need to read from the tvb and render as a hex string that are / may be longer than MAX_BYTE_STR_LEN which is defined as 48.  I do not need the actual bytes from the tvb after I render it as a hexstring.

Render where?

In the summary line for the packet?  We currently impose a limit of 256 bytes on columns in the summary line, so the length of hex strings could be increased, but there's still a limit.

In the packet detail entry for the field?  We currently impose a limit of 240 bytes on the text representation of entries in the protocol tree, so the length of hex strings could be increased, but there's still a limit.

Somewhere else?