Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] packet-mpeg-dsmcc

From: "Crawford, Anthony R" <Anthony.R.Crawford@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 20:15:38 +0000

Good day all,

Over the past few years I have been working closely with ISO/IEC 13818-6 DSM-CC U-N SSP (Session Setup Protocol) both client-side (0x4xxx) and server-side (0x8xxx) messaging. I have been working with Time Warner Pegasus Session Setup Protocol versions 1.0 and 2.3, both of which extend the ISO/IEC 13818-6 DSM-CC specification. So far I’ve built an SSP dissector as a LUA script, so I’m considering porting the code into Wireshark master. DSM-CC SSP protocol is used in video on demand (VOD) BackOffice systems to manage VOD session setup and teardown.

I wish to improve on the ‘packet-mpeg-dsmcc.c’ dissector.

A couple questions for the community:

1. Should support for the SSP protocol specification be added to packet-mpeg-dsmcc.c or would it be recommended to create a separate dissector file for SSP?

2. There are many messages and tables not included in this dissector mentioned in ISO/IEC 13818-6 DSM-CC. I wish to fill those in as best I can.

I understand that the “UserData()” or “Private Data” sections will have to remain as an un-dissected stream of bytes due to the varying vendor implementations of Private Data. I’ve been told by my employer that Private Data is considered proprietary information.

This is the first time I’ve built Wireshark dissections… it’s quite fun!

Cheers and thanks!

Anthony

The contents of this e-mail message and
any attachments are intended solely for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient of this message
or if this message has been addressed to you
in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message
and any attachments. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
or storage of this message or any attachment
is strictly prohibited.