Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Question about dissector "enhancement" / bug

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 13:39:04 -0700
On Jun 28, 2019, at 7:11 AM, Maynard, Chris <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> You can find the download link by navigating from https://www.wireshark.org/ -> Download -> More downloads and documentation can be found on the downloads page -> Live on the Bleeding Edge: You can download source code packages and Windows installers which are automatically created each time code is checked into the source code repository.  These packages are available in the automated build section of our download area.

You'll also find that if you're running Linux, you'll have to compile the binary yourself, as we're not building binary RPMs/DEBs/etc. or Flatpak/{your favorite distribution-independent packaging format} versions.

(That's also a problem with vendor-distributed plugins - they are often oriented towards a world in which Microsoft literally has a 100% share of the desktop/notebook computing market, as they often offer only Windows compiled versions of the plugin.

Perhaps this is another reason to have a built-in ability to read protocol descriptions in a format such as WSGD, or to make Lua a mandatory dependency, so the vendors could distribute dissector plugins in source form so that *anybody* can use them conveniently.)