Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Building a custom rpm from the source tarball, post 3.0

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 21:11:31 +0000
In the old days prior to Wireshark 3.0, one could visit https://www.wireshark.org/download/src/all-versions/, download the source tarball of interest (e.g., wireshark-2.6.6.tar.xz), extract it, modify it as necessary and build both a custom Windows installer and a custom RHEL7 rpm.

Beginning with Wireshark 3.0 though, it no longer seems possible to create a customized rpm from the source tarball as before.  Is this so, or am I missing something?

fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

If it is the case, then why is that?  Would it be possible for the project to restore the ability to build rpm’s from the source tarball like it was possible to do prior to Wireshark 3.0?

Thanks.
- Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is the property of International Game Technology PLC and/or its subsidiaries and may contain proprietary, confidential or trade secret information. This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.