Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Script extcap on macOS

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 02:05:44 +0100
On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 02:57:42PM +0200, Dario Lombardo wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 1:56 PM Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Are the extcap expected to be under build/run/extcap on macOS or elsewhere?
> >

> I guess I found the answer myself. tshark -G folders on travis builds give
>
> /Users/travis/build/crondaemon/wireshark/build/run/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS/extcap
>
> Is there a way to get this single path from tshark's command line?

This is the "appbundle" directory, it is the default on macOS but it can
be disabled through cmake -DENABLE_APPLICATION_BUNDLE=OFF.

To fix the tests (and as a side-effect avoid writing to the program
directory), I propose to make use of the WIRESHARK_EXTCAP_DIR
environment variable to locate the test utility:
https://code.wireshark.org/review/32890

The only other test that writes to the program directory is the name
resolution test, that test writes the 'hosts' file to the program
directory which is unfortunate if you want to run tests as a different
user than the one who built it.
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu