Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] CMake Error [CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set] while building w

From: Ross Jacobs <rossbjacobs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 12:20:35 +0100
Looks like you need to install make as well as ninja. Please verify that both `ninja --version` and `make --version` have valid responses.

Ross

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 12:16 PM Abhisek Techie <abhisek.study2016@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi ,

I am trying to build wireshark from source in Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS and getting Cmake error  . I am following the instructions from the  link https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSrcBuildFirstTime.html#_building_on_unix

1.Error details -I am getting the below error when I am issuing  cmake command

uws@ubuntu:~/wireshark-ninja$ cmake -G Ninja ../wireshark
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Ninja".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
See also "/home/uws/wireshark-ninja/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

2.CMakeOutput.log has just the below line- .

The system is: Linux - 4.18.0-17-generic - x86_64

3.Below are the contents of  CMakeCache.txt for your reference

# This is the CMakeCache file.
# For build in directory: /home/uws/wireshark-ninja
# It was generated by CMake: /usr/bin/cmake
# You can edit this file to change values found and used by cmake.
# If you do not want to change any of the values, simply exit the editor.
# If you do want to change a value, simply edit, save, and exit the editor.
# The syntax for the file is as follows:
# KEY:TYPE=VALUE
# KEY is the name of a variable in the cache.
# TYPE is a hint to GUIs for the type of VALUE, DO NOT EDIT TYPE!.
# VALUE is the current value for the KEY.

########################
# EXTERNAL cache entries
########################

//Program used to build from build.ninja files.
CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM:FILEPATH=CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM-NOTFOUND

//Value Computed by CMake
CMAKE_PROJECT_NAME:STATIC=wireshark

//Value Computed by CMake
wireshark_BINARY_DIR:STATIC=/home/uws/wireshark-ninja

//Value Computed by CMake
wireshark_SOURCE_DIR:STATIC=/home/uws/wireshark

########################
# INTERNAL cache entries
########################

//This is the directory where this CMakeCache.txt was created
CMAKE_CACHEFILE_DIR:INTERNAL=/home/uws/wireshark-ninja
//Major version of cmake used to create the current loaded cache
CMAKE_CACHE_MAJOR_VERSION:INTERNAL=3
//Minor version of cmake used to create the current loaded cache
CMAKE_CACHE_MINOR_VERSION:INTERNAL=10
//Patch version of cmake used to create the current loaded cache
CMAKE_CACHE_PATCH_VERSION:INTERNAL=2
//Path to CMake executable.
CMAKE_COMMAND:INTERNAL=/usr/bin/cmake
//Path to cpack program executable.
CMAKE_CPACK_COMMAND:INTERNAL=/usr/bin/cpack
//Path to ctest program executable.
CMAKE_CTEST_COMMAND:INTERNAL=/usr/bin/ctest
//Name of external makefile project generator.
CMAKE_EXTRA_GENERATOR:INTERNAL=
//Name of generator.
CMAKE_GENERATOR:INTERNAL=Ninja
//Name of generator platform.
CMAKE_GENERATOR_PLATFORM:INTERNAL=
//Name of generator toolset.
CMAKE_GENERATOR_TOOLSET:INTERNAL=
//Source directory with the top level CMakeLists.txt file for this
// project
CMAKE_HOME_DIRECTORY:INTERNAL=/home/uws/wireshark
//ADVANCED property for variable: CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM
CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//number of local generators
CMAKE_NUMBER_OF_MAKEFILES:INTERNAL=1
//Platform information initialized
CMAKE_PLATFORM_INFO_INITIALIZED:INTERNAL=1
//Path to CMake installation.
CMAKE_ROOT:INTERNAL=/usr/share/cmake-3.10
//uname command
CMAKE_UNAME:INTERNAL=/bin/uname

Please suggest if I am missing something or what value should i set for CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM

Regards,
Abhisek