Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Dissector for a custom protocol which starts as HTTP

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 09:56:38 +0100
Does your protocol use an Upgrade header? If so, you can register with the http.upgrade dissector table.

Search also for "upgrade" in https://github.com/wireshark/wireshark/blob/master/epan/dissectors/packet-http.c

Once control is handed to http, I don't think you can change it. Protocols like SMTP that use STARTTLS do something like this:
- Protocol starts being decoded as SMTP
- SMTP signals STARTTLS, so SMTP calls into the TLS dissector to let it know that everything after this packet is TLS with SMTP embedded.
- Due to that call TLS becomes the conversation dissector, but because it had a special case for detecting where TLS actually starts, it will reject earlier traffic, giving others a chance to handle it.

See "last_nontls_frame" in
https://github.com/wireshark/wireshark/blob/master/epan/dissectors/packet-tls.c
https://github.com/wireshark/wireshark/blob/master/epan/dissectors/packet-tls-utils.c

Kind regards,
Peter
https://lekensteyn.nl
(pardon my brevity, top-posting and formatting, sent from my phone)