Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Script extcap on macOS

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 22:42:55 +0200

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 10:23 PM Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is Python 3 installed on the machine on which the test is being run?

It is. All the test suite is python3 based and it's working. That's why I expected the extcap to work.

It looks like the extcap is not the only test script using python3

$ git grep python test/
Binary file test/captures/packet-h2-14_headers.pcapng matches
test/sampleif.py:#!/usr/bin/env python3
test/suite_dissectors/dissectorstest.py:#!/usr/bin/env python3
test/suite_dissectors/group_asterix.py:#!/usr/bin/env python3
test/test.py:#!/usr/bin/env python3
test/util_dump_dhcp_pcap.py:#!/usr/bin/env python3

> There seems to be an issue on mac, depending how the original Wireshark binary has been called. It seems to be, that by clicking on the icon, the system python interpreter get's loaded, which most certainly will let your script fail. If you call Wireshark from a console context (by either executing directly or with "open Wireshark.app", it seems to work fine.

travis is using tshark, not wireshark.

> Try executing through a login shell and it might work as intended.

I do not have any kind of control over the travis host, and I don't have a real mac to use. Can you run the regression test suite for me (just suite_clopts actually) and tell me if it fails?