Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Release lifetime and version number changes?

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 15:03:23 +0200
minor correction, it should not read "sullify" but pacify. It has been a long week ....

Am Fr., 12. Apr. 2019 um 15:01 Uhr schrieb Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>:
Just my two cents, I like a clear indication, that I am working with a development version beyond the obvious changes of text. SO the versioning is usually the first thing I look at.

That being said, I could imagine adopting the Python versioning scheme as an alternative to the current even/odd numbering.

As for the number of branches - I allways thought, that actively maintaining that many branches is more hassle than it's worth. I know it happend now due to special circumstances, and I like a clear indication of break (aka the main Qt reasoning behing the 2.8<->3.0 switch), but I think it presents more confusion then help to the customers and just tends to sullify the little nerds in all of us ;-)

kind regards
Roland