Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark on Kali linux

From: Jasper Bongertz <jasper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 11:07:22 +0100
Title: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark on Kali linux

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 17:32, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<SNIP>

So the question is whether we should print/pop up a message if TShark/Wireshark is running as root - and, if we do, whether we should have a compile or configuration option to disable that, so it can be disabled on Kali Linux or other OSes where you don't have much of a choice about whether to run them as root.

+1 for this.  I haven't entirely followed the preceding technical discussion as it's mostly about platforms I have little knowledge about, but this in general seems to be a fair approach.  Of course there will be those who have no need to run as "root", who will ignore the advice and disable the warning and continue to run as "root" on the way to ruin.  So be it, we will have tried.

--
Graham Bloice

+1 from me for this as well. The warning should be there for anyone not realizing that this is dangerous, but having the option to mute that warning for people who know (or think they do) what they're doing makes sense.