Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] What is best way to use other protocol subdissectors?

From: Michael Mann <mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 04:24:53 +0000 (UTC)
What is the format of the IEEE-1722 "CAN message"?  From my experience there are many different formats for CAN, so I think it's abstracted as best it can be.  The SocketCAN "packet format" is
CAN ID (4 bytes).  Since CAN IDs are typically 11 or 29-bits, SocketCAN uses some of the higher bits for other flags.
Payload length (1 byte)
"Padding" (3 bytes)
<CAN payload>  (size based on payload length).

Since the CAN ID is not "on the wire" for many CAN protocols (it's just the 8 byte payload), subdissectors have been set up to accept the 32-bit CAN ID as a "data parameter" passed into the dissection function.  Technically, I think Maksim Salau expanded it to a full structure (probably to accommodate/mask the higher bits of SocketCAN).  This does fall a little under first dissector gets to more heavily influence the interface.

All CAN protocols have registered with the "can.subdissector", where the "interface" is expecting the "data parameter" structure that is dictated by SocketCAN.  However any dissector has access to use the "can.subdissector" table.  For example, if the IEEE-1722 "packet format" is
CAN ID (4 bytes).  Only CAN IDs of 11 or 29 bits, no higher bits set
Payload length (1 byte)
<CAN payload> (size based on payload length)

The IEEE-1722 "CAN dissector" can enumerate the "header fields" of CAN ID and Payload length, and reuse the same display names like can.id, and then get a handle to the "can.subdissector" table and call dissector_try_payload_new() just like the SocketCAN dissector does.  Just be aware that the data parameter of dissector_try_payload_new() has to match the structure that SocketCAN uses because that is the "interface" that the "can.subdissector" dissector table has defined.

With the "can.subdissector" there isn't a way to determine which subdissector should be called (so you always have to use Decode As).  Some protocols, like TCP or UDP can key off of the "port number" to determine which subdissector to call and subdissectors can register by that port number.
If the IEEE-1722 "packet format" has a field to determine which CAN protocol followed (i.e. 1 = J1939, 2 = CANOpen), then it should setup its own subdissector table ("1722can.subdissector"), and then the CAN protocols themselves would need to register with that dissector table as well, with the value of the field used to call them.

Hope this provides a little more clarity.