Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Suggestions to improve the Wireshark download web page notes

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 08:39:14 +0100

On 11 Jan 2019, at 03:12, Luke Mewburn <luke@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

[Is there a better list to discuss suggestions and improvements
to the wireshark.org web page?]

This list should be okay.

I'd like to suggest an improvement to the "Download Wireshark" pages:
https://www.wireshark.org/#download
and the equivalent
https://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Under each release section, have a specific "Release Notes"
link for the release-specific release notes.

E.g. for "Stable Release (2.2.6)" could have an item
 Release Notes  https://www.wireshark.org/docs/relnotes/wireshark-2.6.6.html
under the list of Windows and macOS installers and Source Code link.

That could probably be made.

At the moment, it requires following a few non-obvious
links to find the release notes from the initial page.
I.e., starting at:
https://www.wireshark.org/#download
then "downloads page" link in the middle of the final para:
https://www.wireshark.org/download.html
then "the release notes" link in the middle of a paragraph:
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/relnotes/
then the release specific link:
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/relnotes/wireshark-2.6.6.html

Or, starting at:
then the release specific link:

So there seems to be a clear separation between the raw files and the documentation.
Let's see what other reactions are going to be.

Thanks,
Jaap