Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Why does the IEEE802.11 treat the Frame Control field as a separ

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 08:23:03 -0800
Hi folks,

I am currently working on S1G which brings with it Protocol Version 1.

I notice that the current code treats the Frame Control Field (FCF)
and duration as a separate top-level item and then adds a separate
top-level item (IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN or IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN
extension frame) for the fixed fields and IEs contained in them.

IEEE802.11-2016 says:

"The Frame Body is a variable-length field that contains information
specific to individual frame types and subtypes. The minimum length of
the frame body is 0 octets. The maximum length of the frame body is
constrained or affected by the following..."

The frame body is everything between the end of the header (which
includes FCF, duration, addresses and some other control fields, like
QoS Control and HT Control) and the FCF.

Mostly they are Fixed fields and IEs, and with the exception of Data
Frames do not carry any other protocols.

Thus they should not be treated as separate top-level items and should
be seen as subtrees of the IEEE 802.11 XXX tree that is added.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe