Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Fwd: OPC UA plugin in Wireshark

From: Anders Broman <a.broman58@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:39:54 +0100

Den tors 13 dec. 2018 kl 12:08 skrev Hannes Mezger <hannes.mezger@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hi Anders,

from time to time I'm developing on and extending the OPC UA plugin of
Wireshark (plugins\epan\opcua).

First of all, thank you for the fast and constructive reactions on my
contributions to Wireshark, it's always nice to work with the Wireshark
team! :)

About one year ago, a new version (1.04) of the OPC UA specification was
released, which brings a lot of new types and some new services. Now
we're thinking about regenerating the according files in the plugin, and
integrate some fixes and changes, which will be a lot of changes
overall. Now my question is when the next Wireshark version will be
released into which those changes could be included. Will there be a 2.8
version?

Also I'd like to know if additions to a protocol, like
https://code.wireshark.org/review/31018 can be merged into bugfix
branches like the current 2.6 one, or if those are for bugfixes only and
protocol extensions can only be added to new minor versions.

Best regards

Hannes

Hi,
You can read about the planned release here https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201812/msg00042.html the next version will be 3.0. The general idea is to only backport bugfixes and all new functionality goes into the next major release. So 31018 should not be backported and a new release is around the corner so it should not be a problem - right?
In general these kind of questions are better off discussed on the dev list where more people can chime in.
Best regards
Anders