Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark seems to require Python 3.4 or better now ...

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:05:14 -0800
On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 9:40 AM Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Le sam. 10 nov. 2018 à 18:33, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am running into problems with building the latest Wireshark master
>> release on CentOS 7.5.1804.
>>
>> Wireshark seems to need Python 3.4 or better, and I have Python 3.6
>> installed and am using the software collection (scl enable rh-python36
>> bash) but cmake 3 does not want to find it.
>>
>> I get:
>>
>>    [rsharpe@localhost wireshark-build]$ python -V
>>    Python 3.6.3
>>    cmake3 ../wireshark-official
>>    CMake Error at
>> /usr/share/cmake3/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137
>> (message):
>>      Could NOT find PythonInterp: Found unsuitable version "2.7.5", but required
>>      is at least "3.4" (found /usr/bin/python)
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>

> Either clean your build folder, or edit your CMake cache file to remove the PythonInterp entry and force a new search.

It was a completely new build dir.

In the end, because I imagine the Wireshark build needs a more recent
version of Python, but the base platform still needs Python 2.7.5, I
went with virtualenv and it seems to have worked.

   sudo pip3.6 install virtualenv
   virtualenv ./wireshark-master
   cd wireshark-master/
   source ./bin/activate