Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Why are ett[] arrays static?

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 20:26:22 +0200
W dniu 2018-10-19 16:51, Jeff Morriss napisał(a):
Is it just me or is there no reason for ett[] arrays:

    /* Setup protocol subtree array */
    static gint *ett[] = {
        &ett_PROTOABBREV

to be static?

It seems to me that making it static is just wasting space (keeping the
array around forever)?

If you make it not static, it will waste memory and CPU by having & running code to initialize this array.

My compiler (gcc 7.3.0-16ubuntu3) with >= 32 etts, after removing static makes array in .data, but copies it during function execution.